Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Favorite Things This Semester...

And I hate to say it, but school is not one of them. I have found some amazing shows that I think the world needs to be informed about! One of them is called Chuck and it's about this nerd who gets all of the USA's secrets downloaded into his brain by accident and so he becomes the most important tool the government has and he just wants to lead a quite life with his friends and family. Now while this might sound a little unrealistic and cliche-ish (in the sense that this could never actually happen, and on the off chance that it actually would, how ironic is it that the secrets were downloaded into someones head that could actually hold all that information, a huge nerd) but alas, TV is supposed to be somewhat unrealistic and it has fast dialogue and deep, witty characters that are easy to fall in love with. All in all, not a bad show to waste an hour on, and if you watch it online there are virtually no commercial interruptions.
Another little gem that Rachel and I have found is a show called Pushing Daisies. This one is very Series of Unfortunate Events-ish with a Tim Burton edge. Watch it if you think you'd like a more random presentation of some good themes. The basic premise of the show is that a guy has the ability to bring people back from the dead, but if he keeps them alive for more then a minute someone else has to die in their place and if he touches them a second time they will die forever. It's a show filled with fun characters that deal with real emotions and hard topics like forgiveness in a very supernatural environment.
To move from TV to books I would just like to say that when the Harry Potter books started to become popular, I was very skeptical. I heard what many mainstream Christians were saying about them and I was content to not read them. But this year I was encouraged by some friends who had read them to look past my preconceived notions and prejudices and give them a try. Let me tell you, I have really been enjoying them. Rowling can tell a story like nobodies business and I find that I have become so intrigued its hard to put them down. In fact, its gotten to the point that now Rachel, Cassie and I will only read them in the car when we drive across town to church or other outings. The perfect series to read on a wet, cold winter afternoon/evening with a fire and and a hot cup of cider!
On to sports!!! Now normally I am not a sports fan, but for baseball I make exceptions, because for one thing...Its Americas favorite pastime. And another reason is that baseball movies are some of my favorites and with titles like Field of Dreams, The Rookie, A League of Their Own, For Love of the Game, The Natural, Fever Pitch and of course Sandlot how can you go wrong. And this year the Colorado Rockies and the Boston Red Sox are going to the World Series. Now normally I would just be content to keep an eye on whose playing so as to not subject my roommates to baseball overload but because Rachel is from Colorado and I really like the Sox we are going all out and even have money(although just pennies)on the outcome.
So I just realized that this makes it seem like I don't do any school work, but in reality these things are shoved in between big tests, papers, and projects, but I don't want to bore you with that so go out and see if you can enjoy some of my favorite things because I love to share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wahoo!! You posted!!! Thanks for blogging - I love you!

Geron Leigh said...

a. I was just talking about Fever Pitch and how great it was that there's a chick flic that guys will watch

and

b. I have completely let you down. I haven't been to see one movie. and I even promised that I wouldn't slack off. But...Christmas is coming, save some good ones to see with me, ok?

The Lyons said...

hey! thanks for checking my blog! sounds like you found some fun things! i have some exciting news that i'll have to share with you some time....have a great weekend! 7 more weeks of school!